Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What is an apothecary?

a·poth·e·car·y: Could I have the language of origin, please?


1325–75; Middle English  (< Old French ) < Medieval Latin apothēcārius  seller of spices and drugs, Late Latin:  shopkeeper,equivalent to Latin apothēc a shop, storehouse (< Greek apothḗkē; see apo-theca) + -ārius -ary  [from dictionary.reference.com]

It took me forever to think of a good name. After agonizing about it for over a month, I settled on this one. But what, really, is an apothecary? Well, as it seems, it can be a rather loose term depending on the language of origin. I can work with that!
 My little shop does not sell pharmaceuticals, nor am I a chemist (it would be pretty cool if I was, though). I sell terrariums. Actually I want to sell them so I can afford to keep making them. This is my early, beginning attempts to take my obsessive hobby and do something with it. If you love plants like I do, you might enjoy what's in store. If you are one of those people that "can kill anything," come learn a thing or two from someone who has killed a few, too. I'm a learn-as-I-go kind of girl. Stump me with questions so I have to go research an answer. Or better, just check back soon and see if this really leads to anything. I hope it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment