Friday, March 30, 2012

Nature walk, after the rain

Spring arrived in Texas early this year, as it usually does. We had a very temperate winter with only a few days of freezing. My friends and I enjoyed prosperous winter gardens that those who live in the colder parts of the country would be most envious of ("green" with envy...bad pun). Later, when it starts scorching and everything dies by about, July, I'll have to go back to this post to remember that this is why I live in Texas: temperate winters and early springs.
So, I got my daughter Viola in the jogger and we took a nature walk on the running trails near our home. There had been a storm a few nights before. One of my favorite times to go on these walks is after the rain because it never ceases to amaze me how lush all the vegetation looks right after the rain. I'll share some photos from our stroll. Highlights include bright orange moss and budding cacti. Also, catch my terrarium tip of the day at the end of this post!








Next I need to capture some landscapes with all the bluebonnets. They are doing great this year and I still haven't done the annual "take pictures of your kids in the bluebonnets" thing yet.

Tip: for those who harvest their own mosses like I do, here is a link about how to wash your moss properly from The Fern and Mossery blog: wash your moss!

No comments:

Post a Comment